Sunday, March 16, 2014

Post 1 Prompt 2

#2. What is your race? How has your race determined your privilege, power, and perspective in the world? Refer to the documentary and any other sources that inform your decision. MLA citations. 

German Gomez Sorzano
March 16, 2014
12

What's My Race?

Race is the fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group. Race is a very complex theme to just simply define. It is something very complex because of the extension of previous generations. There are two main ways to see race, the first one is to see the physical differences and categories, and the second one is to dig all the way down and find out the exact genes and mitochondrial structure. So based on this, personally for me it is impossible to describe my race, literally, I don't know my roots. In some cases race could be an advantage to other people.

There is an enormous gap between one "race" and another. In some cases being black is an advantage and in other cases being white is the advantage. In my case, I live in an atmosphere surrounded by people who do not care about color. I've had the opportunity to have contact with other "cultures" such as the american culture. I received comments such as: "Mexican Ilegal, Dirty Latino". This shows how other cultures reject others. In my opinion, race is not an excuse to have more privileges or power, it is just an idea of superiority in some cases.


Citations:
"Race and the Digital Humanities: An Introduction (NITLE Workshop)." Adeline Koh. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment